Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sockity sock

I signed up for Lolly's socktoberfest on a whim. I figure I would start by answering her questionaire. I will have to get pictures of all my socks up.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I started my first sock the summer of 2004, from a pattern I picked up at mannings in Pennsylvania and with a german cotton yarn. I think I have lost the ball band. Anyway, that sock got ripped out cause I didn't understand turning the heel at all. At some point the next spring I tried again with the retro-rib pattern from interweave knits in the same german cotton yarn. This pattern was much less confusing, though that first pair took forever. I think I was still knitting it at Rhinebeck last year. Those socks also travelled to England and Scotland with me. I think I even knit a little waiing in customs at heathrow.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
The first pair was a cotton pair in the retro-rib pattern, which I love and should make again. They have help up well. I haven't worn them that much, but I do love wearing them.

What would you have done differently?
Not started the confusing generic sock pattern in the first place. There are all sorts of easy to follow patterns online and in interweave knits.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I like any really bright colored yarn. I am making my first pair in Socks that rock and I really like that yarn, but I've had trouble finding a pattern that I think is right to show off the yarn. The colors are so great and the texture is lovely. I have thought of just doing stockinette stitch just to show off the yarn. We'll see, I'm trying a cabled sock pattern to begin with.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I like to knit my socks on double pointed needles, usually 4 needles, 5 when I pick up the gusset.
Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I have only done the flap so far and really like it. I will probably try the short row at some point, but for now I like the flap, it seems like it has a nice stability.

How many pairs have you made?
I have made 5 pairs. A stripy wool pattern for Jaywalkers, a cabled pair in knitpicks sock yarn, a pair for the sockapalooza exchange, and a pink and white springy pair. I have a new pair that I'm making with the socks that rock yarn and I have some kool-aid dyed yarn to use for a pair after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home