Tuesday, October 24, 2006

books and rhinebeck

So the reading has picked up a littl bit. I finished two books just recently with a thrid possibly following by the end of the week.

White Ghost Girls by Alice Greenway was really good. A very interesting look at Vietnam through the eyes of a teenage girl during the Vietnam War era. I have always been interested in Vietnam, maybe one day I'll have the guts to try and go there. I love their culture and of course the food.

Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger was good for the subway and for the tedious bus ride this weekend. It was formulaic and somewhat predictable, though I enjoyed the characters and found them very entertaining.

So the bus ride took me to Albany on Friday night and Saturday morning we headed down to Rhinebeck to the NY sheep and wool. So many famous bloggers and clapotis. Also, all the beautiful handknits. I saw at least one sweater I had thought about making. But we ignored most of this to bargain hunt. I got some great stuff. More wonderfully soft alpaca in tan from the same place I got yarn for arisaig. It's so soft and warm and such a good buy. I also got enough soft wool (i think) in a medium purple to make a lacy cardigan. There was also sock yarn to make some socks for a christmas gift and a few random skeins of lamb's pride for 2 each and a random handspun to make some fingerless gloves. I did walk away from some really gorgeous mohair and a merino wool in varigated greens just because I didn't think I could figure out what to do with them. I wished I had bought the green for a scarf now, but I think I'll get some paton's soy wool that they had at Michael's when I'm home instead. I also walked away from some wildfoot sock yarn because the line was just too long. It was almost 4 pm and I was tired and had a headache. It just wasn't worth it for yarn I can buy online or in NY.

Now I just need to start the socks and finish a baby hat. Also I have some figerless gloves I'll finish tonight, soon I will want to wear them nonstop, cause it is cold here already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home