Monday, October 26, 2009

Music Monday:

Last Saturday night a friend was checking out Red Baraat, who was playing a Diwali party in my neighborhood. It was cold and dark, but I figured why not check it out. I'm not really sure how to describe this band, it certainly falls under the fusion label as it is a combination of Bhangra and funk, using brass instruments and the dhol, a traditional North Indian drum. It was a great evening of high energy music that had everyone trying to dance in the small, hot room.

I'll definitely try to see this band again.

And last night I found myself thinking about Andrew Bird, who I saw in Pittsburgh at the Carnegie Music Hall. I'd like to see him live again, because there is something that doesn't come across in the recordings. Though it could have also just been the way the sound reverberated through the hall, there was a wonderful echo and building up of this full, slightly spooky sound.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home